Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sisters


Sisters ~ To me, there is no greater love than the love I feel for my sisters. I know that whenever I need someone to listen, I can call Lauren or Leslie and they will let me talk. When I need a shoulder to cry on, they will be there. When I am angry or happy or sad, there is always someone to share those emotions. They are and always have been there for me. One night this summer, I called Lauren. I had had a rough couple of weeks and there were ants invading my pantry. It was the last straw for me and I could not stop crying. I felt sorry for myself, my situation, and I was angry that I was there alone and had to take care of everything myself. It was 10PM, Lauren had been sick all day, and she came over anyway. She killed the ants and cleaned up my pantry. She did not complain - she was there for me. Another day, a few weeks before that, Leslie called me. Something major had happened in my life and it was a bad night. Leslie was on her honeymoon and I didn't want to bother her or ruin her day. She called me and cried with me. She didn't let the fact that it was her honeymoon or that she was having a great time deter her from calling me and crying with me and making me feel better. These are my sisters, my best friends. The movie "In Her Shoes" is about two sisters. They are so different, but so alike in many ways. One sister reads the other this poem on her wedding day, and to me, this is exactly how I keep Lauren and Leslie- I carry their hearts in my heart...

i carry your heart with me by E. E. Cummings
i carry your heart with me(i carry it inmy heart)i am never without it(anywherei go you go,my dear; and whatever is doneby only me is your doing,my darling)i fearno fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i wantno world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)and it's you are whatever a moon has always meantand whatever a sun will always sing is youhere is the deepest secret nobody knows(here is the root of the root and the bud of the budand the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which growshigher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars aparti carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

1 comment:

  1. That is the poem I suggested to David & Alana when they asked me (the only published poet they know) what they should read at the wedding. Good one!

    ReplyDelete