Thursday, March 19, 2009

Coffee and Cigarettes

I was listening to this Michelle Featherstone song tonight and it made me think how we all deal with our problems differently (or in my case, I deal with it in different ways on different days!). Here are a few lines from the song:

"I thought that if I didn’t go and play
The sadness would get bored and go away
I thought that if I didn’t go astray
That all my pain would be in yesterday

I sold my guitar and my piano
I thought that it was these that kept me low
I thought if only I could try and change
That all my pain would be in yesterday"

There are days when I feel like the lyrics from the first verse...if I just sit at home and sulk the day away, then somehow it will lessen the pain and I'll be okay. Then I realize that I have been sitting on the sofa all day in my robe - and I feel (and look) worse than when the day started. Other days, I feel like the second verse...if I just get up and get going and make everything different, that the pain will disappear. Then I wake up and realize it still hurts.

I have found that neither way is right or wrong. I think we all have to work through our problems in our own way. Sometimes we need to cry, sometimes we need to get angry, and some days we need to let ourselves forget...and just do the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment