Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Magic of Santa

I found this on my computer yesterday.  A few years ago, they were celebrating an anniversary of The Legendary Santa and asked people for their stories in a few words.  My family has so many memories of going to see Santa and this year I get to continue the tradition by taking McKayla - I think that I'm more excited than she is!!  They didn't choose my entry, but here it is for you to read:

My parents took my sister for her first visit in 1982. Daddy didn’t understand driving over an hour to see Santa. Mama, however, knew there was no Santa like the Legendary Santa…


The tradition began in 1963 when Mama and her siblings went to see Santa at Miller & Rhoads. My grandparents recall lunch in the Tea Room and hearing Eddie Weaver play the organ. Mama was amazed that Santa knew their names! She knew that she’d take her children to see the Legendary Santa.


This became our favorite family tradition. After that first visit, Daddy says that the Legendary Santa would make a non-believer believe that this was the REAL Santa. The tradition grew to three generations, including all of my cousins.


We were almost always the first in line to watch Santa come down the chimney. It seemed as if Santa really remembered our family each year. One year, he told us that if he had time Christmas Eve, he would place a sooty finger on our foreheads. One of my first memories as a child is seeing the fingerprint on our foreheads Christmas morning.

In 1998, we took our last picture with Santa as a family after 17 years. Daddy whispered to Santa that we had come for many years and how much he meant to our family.


We have such fond memories of going to see Santa. My sisters and I look forward to taking our own children one day to experience the magic of Santa.

2 comments:

  1. I was never so disappointed in my life as when I paid $100 for me, my son and grandson to see Legendary Santa at Feathernesters last year. He had to have small kid/elves help in in and out of the room, he was about 4 foot tall and VERY FEEBLE LOOKING. He looked like he weighed about 60 lbs. It was SO SAD and shocking. I went for a special Christmas outing--I believe most want to re-live their past and see THEIR SANTA. But it's not fair to the KIDS! This poor man was scary and needs to retire. How do you say this gently? sad. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,

    I'm not sure where Feathernesters is located, but we go see "THE Legendary Santa" in Richmond, VA. First of all, I've never paid to go see the Legendary Santa. You can pay to attend the teas or go without waiting in lines, but it is free in Richmond. Also, it isn't always necessarily the SAME Santa. We went to see the Legendary Santa and so did my mom, but it was a different man. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience - my family went for about 15 years and always had an amazing experience!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete